Rethink Evangelism

I think it is important at times that we rethink how we do things. It is very easy for us as humans, who are habitual by nature, to get caught in a cyclical way of life that does not enable us to be who God created us to be. What i mean by this is, as Christians (some cases) it is our daily life to wake up, go to work and maybe Bible study throughout the week and then church on the weekend followed by a BBQ with our church family only to repeat all over again for the next week. What is scary is that is is very possible for most of us to not interact or even rub shoulders with anyone during the week who does not look like us, think like us, or live like us. This is not what Jesus had in mind when he deemed us as the salt and light of the earth. Its not what he had in mind when he asked us to love our neighbors. Think about it. How many times have you had your "church family" over for a BBQ and never once have you invited to people who live right next to you. It's time to break our normal routine and maybe get a little uncomfortable. It's time to be a Christian and love people when they least expect it and least deserve it. It's time to open up our hearts and our homes to people who are not like us. It's time to live like Jesus lived. Who is up for it?

Matthew 9:9-139Passing along, Jesus saw a man at his work collecting taxes. His name was Matthew. Jesus said, "Come along with me." Matthew stood up and followed him. 10-11Later when Jesus was eating supper at Matthew's house with his close followers, a lot of disreputable characters came and joined them. When the Pharisees saw him keeping this kind of company, they had a fit, and lit into Jesus' followers. "What kind of example is this from your Teacher, acting cozy with crooks and riffraff?"12-13Jesus, overhearing, shot back, "Who needs a doctor: the healthy or the sick? Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders."

Make this your prayer today:
Lord, I pray for an opportunity to share my faith with someone in some way. It’s not up to me to decide who or when or where. But I know why. Because you love them and want a relationship with them. So Lord, surprise me with opportunities to share my faith. 

Forgive me for trying to do your job for you. You are the one who convicts of sin. You are the one who draws to Christ. But help me do my part as salt and light. Help me see those opportunities to react compassionately or listen patiently or speak kindly. Through word and deed, help me plant seeds of love in the lives of others. Give me boldness when it’s time to speak. Give me restraint when it’s time to listen. Give me words to say. But more importantly, give me ears to hear. 

Lord, help me be sensitive to the prompting of your Holy Spirit so I can see the divine appointments you send my way. Help me not to be afraid of questions I cannot answer. Help me not to be afraid of people’s reactions or rejections. 

Lord, help me preach the gospel every day, when necessary, with words. 

In Jesus name, amen!

2 comments:

Jason Craig said...

Hi Jason,
I dont know if you have even heard of Rebecca Manley Pippert's classic little book on friendship evangelism called "Out of the Saltshaker" - but it essentially discusses the need for us to reach out to our friends in a real way with the love of Jesus.

I feel that many of us in church have become completely reliant on the church to do the evangelism that we do not even take a moment to invite someone to come to a meeting where they might have a chance to hear the Good News. I wonder how many of our leaders can give their testimony or lead a person to Jesus with any ease. If our leadership struggles with this fundamental of what we are called to do then how do we expect the body to do it?

There is one thing that both Christians and non-Christians agree on - neither group likes evangelism.

God bless
Jason C

J.Yost said...

agreed..we need more examples. I wonder if we make it too difficult to begin with. Evangelism should just come out of the excess of our lives. Sharing our lives with people and learning how to be good listeners might be the best examples we can portray. This is good. We need to rethink our process among leaders. Thanks Jason.