Week/end Reflections

Over the past few weeks I have been reminded of Acts 1:8. My daily readings, along with the particular classes I am taking right now have lead me back to this portion of scripture and the experience of being filled with the Holy Spirit. On top of that, last week I sat in on a session with Oral Roberts University along with a few key leaders around the nation to discuss the direction of the next generation and how the Holy Spirit is received into the culture. I feel as though I am on a swinging pendulum. When I started out I was all about the Holy Spirit and its manifestations but as I progressed, or perhaps digressed for that matter, I was hesitant to openly provide an environment to allow people to experience in the Holy Spirit in a non-controlled manner. We all have had our experiences that have turned us off, or at least some of us. However, I feel the pendulum swinging the other way as of late. My readings are more and more pointed towards the Holy Spirit and His purpose for our lives. My prayer time is more and more focused on the need for the Holy Spirit in my life. My performance, or daily living time is more aware that I am able to do nothing without the influence of the Holy Spirit in my life. I need the Holy Spirit in my life. We need the Holy Spirit in our lives. After all, it was those moments that were a little weird and uncontrollable that catapulted my faith and brought me into who I am today. So why am I so concerned about controlling something and not offended someone? I am not sure. I want to walk with the Holy Spirit in this and allow Him to teach me whatever it is that I need to learn. As we finished up our influence series this week I have come to the realization. I don't want to just impress people, I want to make a lasting impression on people. There is no way that I am going to that in a positive way without the Holy Spirit in my life.


John 15:

4"Live in me. Make your home in me just as I do in you. In the same way that a branch can't bear grapes by itself but only by being joined to the vine, you can't bear fruit unless you are joined with me.

 5-8"I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you're joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can't produce a thing. Anyone who separates from me is deadwood, gathered up and thrown on the bonfire. But if you make yourselves at home with me and my words are at home in you, you can be sure that whatever you ask will be listened to and acted upon. This is how my Father shows who he is—when you produce grapes, when you mature as my disciples.  

0 comments: