Clearing the Temple

This morning in my devotions I was reminded, or just realized, that right after the Triumphal Entry, you know, when Jesus road in on the colt that "had never been ridden before", and everyone shouted with joy "blessed is He who comes in the Name of the Lord", Jesus went to the temple courts were he cleared the temple in righteous anger because of the selling and trading (everything but prayer) that had been going on. I didn't realize the timing of this I don't think. All the while Jesus was preparing people for what was to come, His death & resurrection. First, the triumphal entry, then the clearing of the temple. Each event bringing focus to Jesus and turning people towards the glory of God. 

Upon reading about this I was filled with angered at the people for blocking the way to worshipping God and tainting the temple courts by offering material sales and using something that is Holy to pursue their own interests.  I was on the edge of my seat reading this and cheering for Jesus as He stepped into the mix and turned over tables and offended the sellers and consumers. Then, in the same amount of time it took me to sip my at this time lukewarm coffee, I was cheering and shouting for Jesus to "get those sinners", and then unbeknownst to me, Jesus so lovingly and calmly turned towards me and reminded me of the tables of material junk, insecurity, and selfish ambition, that I so easily turn to in order to rationalize my existence. Wow! Could I be one of these "bad people" that block the way for others to see God because of my selfish actions? Or do i turn to these table too often as to block my own way to God? 
My prayer this morning was urgent. My prayer for you this morning is urgent. Jesus clear my temple. May there be no road blocks between you and I. May I live my life as to direct people to your grace and love. In Jesus Name..AMEN!!

0 comments: